Monday, June 7, 2010

It's been a while!

Well, not a while since I've cooked, but a while since I've blogged! I'm trying really hard to plan out our meals for the week, based on coupons and store sales...we'll see how it goes! So, here's this week (maybe if I post every Sunday/Monday, it will keep me more accountable!)

Sunday: Wes had leftovers; Wesley and I had awesome Mustard Glazed Salmon* and a Caesar Salad

Monday: London Broil, Biitch Potatoes*, Sugar Snap Peas

Tuesday: Spaghetti

Wednesday: Leftover LB and/or Spaghetti, and Farmer's Market Veggies

Thursday: Tacos

Friday: Out of town for the weekend

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Mustard Glazed Salmon:
I basically followed Giada's Recipe. I didn't have any white wine, so I used just a splash of water, and I used MORE dijon mustard and LESS whole-grain mustard, because I don't really like the whole-grain that I have right now. A little tip, though...don't try to cut this recipe in half (or at least not if you're going to use the mini food processor!). There's not enough glaze to actually get "processed" that way. Also, I broiled my salmon fo the 2 minutes, then for about 9 more minutes. It was phenominal...and Wesley gobbled it up too!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Biitch Potatoes:
Okay, I found this on a message board, and the potatoes were affectionately (ha) named after a disliked--but good cook--neighbor! Super easy...just take baking potatoes, slice them "accordion style" (not cutting all the way thru) in maybe 6 or so slices, depending on the size. In each slice, put a small sliver of butter, and a thin slice of onion. Sprinkle the top of the potato with salt, and wrap tightly in foil. Grill for about 45 minutes. The onion will practically disappear! They are so good! We had them last week too :)

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
And a tip I am going to try out today...boiling ground beef! Yeah, it sounds kind of gross, but from what I've read, it's a great way to cook a large amount of ground beef. So, I'm going to boil 2 lbs for the spaghetti and tacos this week, and I'll let you know how it goes. Basic directions seem to be this: put beef in a large stock pot, cover with water, bring to a boil, reduce to a good simmer. Break apart with a spoon, and cook until no longer pink. Drain in a collendar placed over a large bowl. Refrigerate the broth that you strain out, and the next day remove the fat from the top. Voila...cooked ground beef (that's healthier b/c you get so much of the fat out!), and homemade beef broth! There is varying advice on seasoning the water. I think I'm going to though.

Update: Okay, why had no one told me about this before?!? I may never fry ground beef again. It took maybe a total of 15-20 minutes to cook 2 lbs of ground beef, and by the way, I now have homemade beef broth too!! I used 1/2 an onion (cut in 1/4ths and held together with a toothpick), salt, pepper, and parsley to season my water.

No comments: