Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Eggplant Lasagna

Okay, first a disclaimer...I haven't actually eaten this yet! I made it last night, and we're having it for dinner tonight, but I don't think there's any way it could taste bad considering the ingredients :)

1 large eggplant
1 large tomato
about 2-3 oz. fresh parmesian cheese (I used shaved)
15 oz. part-skim ricotta cheese
1 24 oz. jar spaghetti sauce (I used Classico Tomato-Basil)
8 oz. fresh mozzarella (I found "pearls"...teeny-tiny little mozz balls!)
Olive oil spray
Salt/pepper/garlic powder
Fresh* basil (okay, so I used the refrigerated squeeze from a tube kind...I need to plant an herb garden!!)

Preheat oven to 350. Slice the eggplant into very thin rounds (less than 1/4" if possible). Spray with olive oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper, and spread in one layer on cookie sheets. Roast in the oven until soft and beginning to brown, about 5 minutes. Set aside.
Slice tomato in thin slices as well. Mix the ricotta cheese with salt, pepper, garlic powder and basil to taste.
In a large casserole dish that you've sprayed with olive oil, cover the bottom with a single layer of eggplant, then a layer of tomato, then about 1/3 of the spaghetti sauce. Then, add a layer of 1/2 of the ricotta mixture, sprinkle with parm, and top with 1/3 of the mozzarella. Repeat all of the layers once more, then top with one more layer of eggplant and sauce, and top with the remaining parm and mozzarella.
As I said before, I haven't actually eaten this yet, but I'm thinking it should cook for about 30 minutes in a 350 oven. I'll update later if this isn't correct. I'll be serving it with noodles tossed in olive oil and herbs, since I have a feeling that Wes will be pulling the eggplant out with his nose turned up :)

No comments: