Wednesday, June 9, 2010

A few FIRSTS tonight!

Well, we didn't make it to the Farmer's Market last night to get veggies to go with leftover London Broil tonight, so I decided we'd run by the grocery, and get some veggies to make stir-fry. I don't know what got into me in the produce department, but I ended up getting boc choy AND broccolini...two veggies I've never even cooked (and I've never eaten broccolini!). I also got mushrooms, a red bell pepper, and yellow squash. I have to say, I made some pretty awesome veggie stir-fry!! (And in just a bit I'll be making fried rice with the LB since I think Wes would cry if I tried to feed him only veggies for dinner! He went to play golf tonight, though, so Wesley and I just ate the veggies). I did get some tips for this from www.steamykitchen.com

1 bunch bok choy, chopped in 1/4 to 1/2 inch chunks
1 bunch broccolini, cut in 1-2 inch pieces
1 container baby portabella mushrooms, sliced
1 red bell pepper, sliced in thin strips
2 small or 1 large sqash, cut in long 1/4 inch thick matchsticks

3 cloves of garlic, grated or very finely chopped
~3T canola oil
~1/4 c. beef broth
~1/4 c. soy sauce, mixed with 1T cornstarch

Okay, have everything ready before you start...this goes fast! Put the oil in a large frying pan or wok, add the garlic (to the cold pan!), and turn to med-high (according to www.steamykitchen.com, this will infuse your oil with garlic without scorching it over high heat...great idea!!). Once the oil is hot and the garlic is golden, dump all the veggies in, and use tongs to toss very well...and quickly! Toss for about 30 seconds, until everything is good an coated in the garlic oil. Pour in the broth and cover, letting steam for about a minute. Uncover, toss in the soy sauce mixture, and cover for about another minute. Toss once again before serving! You can add toasted sessame seeds on top if you'd like, but we didn't becaue Wesley is allergic :(
Delish and quick! Woohoo!

No comments: