Friday, August 31, 2007

Chicken and Rice Casserole...YUM!

Sorry I haven't posted in FOREVER...I haven't cooked in forever either! School has started, I've been exhausted, so Wes went to the grocery store last time. He came home with $150+ worth of chips and dip, frozen lasagna, frozen pizza, frozen chicken pot pie, bologna, and Little Debbie cakes. Not exactly what I buy at the grocery, but it was really sweet that he went!
So last night I decided it was time for a real, home-cooked meal. I'd heard good things about Paula Deen's Chicken and Rice Casserole, so I basically made her recipe, but you know I like to change things! So here it goes...
1 rotisserie chicken, pull all the chicken off and dice
1 6 oz. box wild rice, cooked
1/2 sweet onion, sauteed in a pat or two of butter
2 cans of green beans, drained
1 small jar (4 oz.?) pimentos, drained
1 small bag diced almonds (next time I would use more, but Wes didn't like them at all...)
1 c. grated cheddar cheese
1 can cream of celery soup (I may try it with cream of mushroom next time for fun)
1/2 of a small container of reduced-fat sour cream
1 big spoonful of mayo
pinch of salt
pinch of pepper
optional: sleeve of ritz crackers (crushed), melted butter for topping
This recipe is soooo easy...just preheat the oven to 350, cook the rice while you get the chicken ready, then put everything in a big bowl, mix it up, and put into a greased casserole dish! If you want to add the ritz crackers, cook the casserole for about 15 minutes, then sprinkle with ritz and butter, and cook for another 10 minutes or so. If you don't want the topping, just cook it for around 25 minutes.
I put it in two small casserole dishes, and froze one of them.
(Don't tell anyone...but I liked this so much that when I got home from school today, I ate some of it cold, straight out of the casserole dish!!)
YUMMY YUMMY YUMMY!

No comments: