Sunday, May 6, 2007

Tortelini Soup--From Joanna

Joanna gave me this recipe today, and I made it for dinner tonight! Its very yummy...and very easy!
2 small packages of cheese tortelini
Hot Italian sausage
2 cans chicken broth
1 can diced tomatoes
1 can RoTel tomatoes
Seasoning (basil, oregano, salt, pepper)
Boil the tortelini, brown the sausage, combine with the broth, tomatoes and seasoning.

Of course, I can't follow directions very well, so here's what I did: I boiled 1 'family size' pack of cheese tortelini; browned the sausage (removed from the casing...blech), removed the sausage from the pan and drained off the fat, then put it back on the heat and deglazed the pan with a little bit of the chicken broth (I used 1 box of broth instead of 2 cans) and the can of diced tomatoes. I let that mixture simmer for a few minutes, then put it in a large pot with the rest of the chicken broth, the tortelini, the sausage, and a can of diced tomatoes with basil and oregano. The sausage was already spicy enough for my taste, so I didn't want to add the RoTel! I let the soup simmer for a few minutes, then served with crusty bread. YUM!

No comments: